Pages

7/17/11

Bronx Zoo with PS 399K


KIDS + ZOO = FUN!!


The above equation can never be wrong, especially for Samantha and Andrew (and me :p) from PS 399K (Public School 399, Grades K) in Brooklyn. For this project, every volunteer was assigned w/ 2 kids to be under his/her supervision. The way the kids and the volunteer get paired up was quite unique. Both kids and volunteers each stand in line facing each other. Then, each kid will pick who they wanted as their big bro/sis for the trip. Volunteer w/ 2 kids was considered 'full' and need to step back from the line. While one by one kid choose who they wanted to be with, I prayed not to be the last one on the line because that means that you are not popular among the kids. lol. and luckily I wasn't the last one to be chosen :D . Anyway, we rode the school bus to go there and it took about an hour from Brooklyn to Bronx. Before boarding the bus, I was informed by the team leader that this was the first project conducted by New York Cares after their establishment and still going on up till now on monthly basis. 


While we're on our way to the zoo, we (me + Samantha + Andrew) talk about various stuff and I can say that I'm quite impressed w/ the maturity of these kids eventhough they're just 5th graders. Samantha told me about how she see herself in 10 years time where she'll inherit her grandfather's farm in Puerto Rico and will bring her parent to live w/ her over there. She also told me how she would make sure that her brothers and sisters will get proper education so that it would be easier for them in their future endeavor. (I don't feel like i'm talking to an 11 years old primary-schooler at all!). Upon seeing the zoo's entrance, they started to run towards it but then their teacher shouted and instructed them to line up properly or else they wouldn't get the ticket. After the kids have 'behaved' themselves, tickets were distributed and the teacher told us about the flow of the day. Rather than going together in one big group, we (the 3 of us) decided to go by ourselves aaand off we go!  


















I had sooo much fun 'running' around the zoo w/ them. took them on camel ride and get them face painting. At the end of the day, I get so attached to both of them and it's hard for me to say goodbye, and so do they. 

p/s: They remind me of my 'adik gumuk' back home.

No comments: