Pages

6/30/11

Mayor's Alliance at Whiskers in Wonderland



Hey hey. This time around I went to set up booth for pet adoption at Whiskers in Wonderland hosted by Mayor's Alliance for NYC's animals. The event took place at Metropolitan Pavilion on December 12th, 2010. I got to see hundreds of cats (yes hundreds!), rabbits, and dogs. Oh, there were also few exotic animals to be adopted including snakes and iguanas. 

Before the event started, I was told to clean and prepare the tables for the participants who will bring their pets to be presented for people to adopt and during the event, I need to make sure that all the pets have food and water on their tray. Oh while I was checking around, I saw one huuugee cat weighing almost 20 lb. It was sooo big that it reminds me of Garfield. Too bad I didn't take any picture w/ the cat tho. 

picture from garfield.com
Apart from trying to make people adopt an animal, they also open few other booth and giving several presentations on various things related to the pet including types and origins for each breed, how to groom your pets, what their behavior means and few other things.What I noticed here, in order to adopt a pet, you couldn't simply take it and bring it back. There are several black and white that need to be filled in to make sure that the person who wanted to adopt the pet really taking a good care of the animal. There was a saying, "you can measure the civilization of a people by how they treat their animals" and from this event, I guess I can say that the saying agreed to what I've experienced. 

Since I first come to the states, I always saw people walk around with their dog and I wonder how it feel to have a dog as a companion. And today, my wish was granted as I was told to bring a dog for a walk. At first the dog was kind of afraid and always keeps a distance from me. But after talking to it (I talk as if he's a human being rather than a dog. lol) it seems to understand that I wanna befriend with him and he slowly come towards me and i'd able to pet him. He seems to like it when I scratch him behind his ears and caress his neck. I was too busy playing w/ the dog I didn't realize that the event was over (and I also didn't realize that people around were watching me playing w/ the dog as if I was the owner :D).

oh this is my name tag for the event :D


and they gave me a t-shirt :p


No comments: