Pages

6/23/11

Holiday Party and Meal Service at Times Square/Common Grounds



First project! 

After I become an official New York Cares members, I didn't wait too long to do my first project. As I arrived home from the orientation, I quickly browsed on the NYCares website to look for any project available. Oh I forgot to mention that i'm currently in my winter break (when I did this project). While others went to Europe, or Florida, or Bahamas, or Colorado or even went back home (Malaysia), i'm just here, staying in my tiny little room. I decided to do so (not going anywhere) because I believe that there's much more things in the city that I could do. (another reason was that I already spent most of my money for snowboarding and kinda broke now. lol). 



Anyway, while browsing through the website, this particular project had aroused my interest. As the title says, I need to set up holiday party at Times Square Common Ground. This place is basically a center or you can say an apartment that was build in order to overcome homelessness. Besides, this place also providing service for the homeless in restoring their health, and giving them opportunity to re-establish themselves economically. While we may have the same problem back in Malaysia, it is due to my own ignorance that I failed to detect such problem (assuming that this problem exists and I strongly believe that we do). 

My team leader for this project was Richard Lei and I did cause him some trouble for showing up late (but it turns out that the project only started an hour late so practically I still made it on time). Oh but I still didn't tell what did I do. Basically we (the volunteers) need to set up Christmas party for these tenants (former homeless). I never did celebrate Christmas so this is practically my first Christmas celebration in the States. 


taken from freechristmaswallpapers.net

While preparing the room for the event, some tenants did come down and help us with the preparation. Some of them told me that it's been a while since the last time they set up Christmas table or decorating the Christmas tree. Most of their relatives had abandoned them and for us to come and going through all these troubles to set up something like this give them the feeling that someone still cared about them. Most tenants I can say are around the age where I can call them mom, dad, and even grandpa or grandma. 

Brimming with tears, some of them told me how their own son/daughter just let them on the streets. Throwing them out as if they are stray cats. I couldn't comprehend how can their own son/daughter abandoned someone that gave birth and raised them and why such people exists. All these questions ran through my mind without any clear answers. But who am I to judge people right? Maybe they have their own reason of doing so. In my opinion, whatever the reason might be, throwing their parents out is NOT THE SOLUTION.  I don't think any religion have this notion except they encourage us to do the opposite. 


"And your Lord has decreed that you not worship except Him, and to parents, good treatment. Whether one or both of them reach old age [while] with you, say not to them [so much as], 'uff', and do not repel them but to speak a noble word"

"...and to parents do good, and to relatives, orphans, the needy, the near neighbor, the neighbor farther away, the companion at your side, the traveler, and those whom your right hand posses...

"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the land the Lord your God is giving you"


This song comes to my mind.


Peeps. Never take things for granted. No matter how they treat you, don't you ever throw your parents away. Cherished every moment. Be gentle w/ them. Because people will only realized how much they cared and love something only when they've lost it. And don't wait till that time comes.  

No comments: